Friday, January 30, 2009

Nostalgia and Champagne for Breakfast

This morning I woke up to an "initial" breakfast of champagne-- or more accurately sparkling wine, since I'm not willing to shell out the 50 dollars for the real thing. Chased down with canned beans and feta.
I know it's a weird combination, but that's what a person with a decent bank account and no job does. Or I do anyway. The only way way I can make money these days is through Ebay, which is fine. I get to scour all the vintage stores, friperies and garage sales (in the winter? HA) I can fit into my extremely busy days. Yea... that's right... busy... *cough*No these do not look like the bag I'm talking about.

Anyway. The last couple of days I've been thinking about this bag my grandmother use to have.
My grandmother was Russian and technically a doctor. However, due to the times, communism and politics essentially rendered her a nurse. I remember being little and rummaging through her 50's navy blue Doctors bag. I never could read her doctor's script, but she always had lots of papers in there and kept it in the closet.
I haven't seen that bag for 9 years but now I have this weird NEED to get my hands on it.
I figured I could give my mom a call and ask if my grandfather hasn't thrown it out since her passing. It would be absolutely terrible if he did... though there's a chance that won't happen since he's such pack-rats. Then again, I'm sure to him it's just a bag. I know to mom it would be; she hates clutter.
I guess the point is that is more than just a bag to me. It holds really good memories for me. and some mysteries I couldn't fully decode when I was 8. In fact it probably even has prescription slips and files from the 50's to the 70's (she got a new bag in the eighties as far as I know).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What an interesting piece. I love accessories with stories behind them.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you keep reading. :)